Monday, July 4, 2011

The Season of BROKE (n)

The Season of BROKE (SOB) (n) – relatable description of a period of time whereby you find your financial circumstances suddenly change, usually for the worse, but just for a period of time. 

It’s likely that we will not know when this period will end.  Sometimes you dimly see a light at the end of the tunnel only to find the end completely shut down once you arrive.  More and more I am finding loads of people who can relate to what I am saying.  If you are one of them, feel free to comment on this Blog!!  Ironically, with all the preachers, keynote speakers and motivational speakers out there, I can’t believe that no one has ever thought to explain your circumstances (and mine) like this.  Once I acknowledged that this is ONLY a season and things WILL get better, I found myself once again able to get on with my mission in life and completely relieved!..

I’m sure you agree that when your financial situation suddenly changes you feel your your life is out of control.  You know that you must pick up the pieces (and the phone) and do something.  It’s sometimes “the something” that is difficult to navigate, especially when you were certain you KNEW where and when your next paycheck was coming.  I learned a valuable lesson many years ago.  It may sound simple but when you are actually in The Season of BROKE, you may find yourself feeling humiliated, belittled, embarrassed or even lost.  You don’t know who to turn to because you have already concluded that *NUITA’s are out in force working against you…

For all it was and all that happened and as hard as it was, there was ONE thing I always did – told the truth.  (in retrospect it was probably what got me into trouble in the first place!! – again another story for another day!)  I was upfront with my creditors, the bank and the car payment people (that’s a whole other Blog story too!).  Through it all I did find that, as hard as it was, they can’t really persecute you or prosecute you if you just tell the truth!

*NUITA - Nose Up In The Air types

1 comment:

  1. The last paragraph is the blunt truth. It's very difficult to admit to anyone else, even one's self that they are having money problems. It's a cultural issue. Without it, we live in fear of loosing what we have, our homes, our lives and it's easier to deny it, by avoiding the creditors calls then to stand up, admit it OUTLOUD and accept that just because we're having a difficult time, that does NOT mean we're bad people. We're not to be prejudiced against, or harassed, we just need time to breath, reorganize and get back on our feet. Once I started answering the phone and simply telling the collectors that I was unemployed and they weren't getting any money until I found a job, they would start calling less. It Felt like a hit to my pride, but forcing myself to be honest with myself, gave me a chance to forgive myself, and start using the energy I was using to guilt myself for something much more positive... a reboot, restart, and rise from the ashes.

    ReplyDelete